What is ASTM A325 bolts ?
ASTM A325 bolts are standard for mezzanine threaded hexagonal structural bolts manufactured in three different grades or with “T”, “M”, “TC” tails for special cases:
- Type 1 – Carbon, boron, or medium carbon alloy steels undergo heat treatment to achieve the desired mechanical properties. Type 1 is the most commonly specified and possibly the most commercially available. The head is a thick hexagonal pattern and these bolts will have a thread length set based on the required diameter.
- Type 2 – This type was recalled in November 1991.
- Type 3 – Heat resistant steel, quenched and heat treated. Although the strength is the same as Type 1, Type 3 bolts are made from heat resistant steel containing copper, chromium and nickel. This forms an oxide coating that protects the base material from corrosion.
- A325T – A325Full thread. A325T bolts shall be no more than four times the diameter. For example, a 3/4 A325T bolt should not exceed 3″ in length (four times 3/4″) and a 1″ diameter A325T bolt should not exceed 4 ″
- A325 TC -Self-break bolt
- A325M – Bulong A325 metric.
ASTM A325 standard bolts are commonly used in the steel structure industry, bridges, telecommunications, joints that need to bear large forces, complex structural positions, high pressure pipeline connections, connections in the machinery and equipment with large loads, etc. It is the ideal product for the installation of wind turbines, the best towers today.
ASTM A325 . Bolt Standard Specifications
Diameters ½ – 1½”, lengths from 4″ to 10″. Although the head size of the A325 bolt is the same as any standard head screwdriver ASME B18.2.6 2010, but has a shorter thread length than most other structural bolts.
|Head Thickness||Thread length|
Due to being used in many different industries, in Vietnam, ASTM A325 bolts are used in both Inch and Meter systems (A325M) and are tested for quality with a method consistent with industry standards. Unit conversion: 1In = 25.4mm; 1Psi = 6.89Mpa
|Size||Tensile trength ksi||Yield strength ksi||Elongation %||RA %|
|½ – 1||Min 120||Min 92||14||35|
|1⅛ – 1½||Min105||Min 81||14||35|
|M16 – M36||830||660||14||35|
|%||0,30 – 0,52||Min
|Max 0.035||Max 0.040||0.15 – 0.30||Max 0.003|
Nut – Washer included
|A325||A563 or A194 2H||F436 or F959|
|A325M||A563M or A194 2HM||F436M or F959M|
A325 bolts are normally used in raw or hot dip. However, there will be cases where electrolytic zinc, geomet or dacromet plating is required. Alpha Fastener always supports customers with surface treatment to suit all project requirements.